- Low temp hot glue gun
- Ribbons or yarn for hanging
- 1 roll of Life Savers (cylinder about 3 1/2" long)
- 1 small package of gum (3" x 3/4" x 3/8")
- 4 round wrapped candies (try peppermints)
- 1 Hershey's Kiss (this is by far the best shape)
- 1 large rectangular caramel-like candy
- 1 mini chocolate bar (1 1/2" x 1" x 3/8")
- Glue the Life Savers roll to the gum package, letting the Life Saver roll stick over at both ends.
Glue the peppermints to the lower sides for wheels.
- Push the caramel onto the Life Saver body to make the cab of the engine to help it adhere better. Glue in place.
- Cut the paper off the top of the Hershey's Kiss, then flatten the point a bit by pushing it against the table. Put a good sized blob of hot glue on the tip, and then adhere it to the Life Saver roll as shown.
- Glue the little chocolate bar on top of the cab for the roof.
You can substitute a rectangular candy for the Life Savers. Jolly Ranchers work, and so does a set of Starburst candies glued together.
If you want to make some cars for the train, simply use rectangular candies in various combinations with four round wheels.
When looking for candies, think about shape. Go to your local store and look for rectangles, circles, shiny wrappings, etc. You can find small packages of gum in a large multi-pack of gum. You can also remove the gum sticks from the package and glue them together to create a smaller sized gum pack.
Try incorporating this tip in your craft: Using Nerd candies as the train's "coal" in a coal car.